Wednesday

Pop-Up School Valentines

A fun tradition. We started doing this at the request of my oldest son who wanted homemade cards to take to school on Valentines day. This cute little pop-up card is made using scrap book paper, some thick paper, ribbon, and glue. Because it is made up of scraps it lends well to adaptations.



First start with a 2.5 inch by 5 inch piece of card stock, or other thick paper, even a thin bit of cardboard will work. Fold it in half.


On the folded edge make two 1 inch cuts.



Open the paper and fold in the middle section in to create a "stand".



And then close again to crease the folds.

Add a scrap of paper to the outside to hide the hole from the stand.



Add the word Valentine with a black pen. Use all caps and add dots to all of ends. Mark out your word with pencil first.



Cut a heart. About 1.5 inch by 1.5 inch.


Glue the heart to the stand. Make sure the point of the heart is above the bottom crease for the stand.



Add ribbon, or twine etc. by loosely tying it around both the heart and the stand.
Add a personal message above and below the heart
such as:
Happy Valentines Day (above),
and With love from... (below).



Punch a small hole in the bottom of the card and add ribbon to tie it shut.

My boys chose more masculine colors for their cards and they did not perfectly cut out or glue on anything, but that is part of the charm of these little cards. And the time spent making them also makes joyful memories. :)

9 comments:

Raising Z and Lil C said...

Those are adorable. I use to teach third grade and I remember my third graders being obsessed with pop up cards and making them all day long for me. Too cute :)

Steph @ somewhatsimple said...

I remember making these as a kid! My son would love this!

Jamie said...

These are so adorable! I will definitely be trying these with my kiddos! Thanks for the idea.

Deborah said...

What a great idea - frugal, too! Thanks for sharing!

Sharon said...

I'm going to send this one to my sister -- she teaches first grade and I KNOW she will love it!!

Absolutely adorable!

Andy Porter said...

That looks easy enough for me to handle! Super cute too! Thanks for linking to Poppies at Play

Andy

Michelle said...

Super cute! I have been thinking about our homemade Valentines. Maybe ours will be pop-ups. Thanks for the great tutorial!

Lissa said...

Really cute and creative! I love how little things like this add up to savings lots of pennies. And who doesn't love giving a one-of-a-kind Valentine?
mythriftytreasures.blogspot.com

Linda@CraftaholicsAnonymous said...

Jessa,
What cute cards! LOVE how they pop! Thanks for sharing the how-to. So glad you joined my party!
happy crafting!
Linda

Simple accents for crafts, bridal showers, baby showers, home, decor, or gifts:

Popular posts: